Things To Do
This is just a small selection of things to do whilst staying at Benmore Lodge. Guests can get advice from the estate's staff regarding walks, fishing etc. During the main tourist season ideas and suggestions can also be found by visiting the tourist information centres in Ullapool and Lochinver.
Mountains To Climb
There are various mountains in the area including:
- Ben More Assynt, this is a 'Munro'. Start from Inchnadamph.
- Stac Pollaidh. Park at bottom of mountain on road to Achiltibuie.
- Suilven. Reached via Glencanisp road (off Lochinver Main Street).
- Cul Mor. Park off the road to Ullapool (A835), just after Elphin.
- Quinag. Park off the road to Kylesku.
Loch Ailsh: This is the picturesque loch immediately in front of Benmore Lodge. Between 1 April and 30 September a boat, with oars and outboard motor, is provided on this loch, free of charge, for the use of guests staying at the Lodge. Fly fishing from the boat is also included free of charge during these dates. A second boat, also with oars and outboard motor, may be available for fly fishing for an additional charge. Please note that all boats are provided subject to availability and weather, water and other conditions being suitable.
Estate hill lochs: Lodge guests may also fly fish for trout between 1 April and 30 September, free of charge, on several Estate hill lochs during their stay. One of the lochs is shown in the picture on the right.
River Oykel: Fly fishing on the top 2 beats of this popular river can be arranged directly through the Estate subject to availability. There is a 'per beat' charge. Bookings should be made in advance as availability is limited. Please contact us for details.
River Inver (Lochinver) and River Kirkaig (near Lochinver): Fly fishing on these rivers may be arranged through CKD Galbraith Sporting Lets. Tel: 01738 451 600.
Red deer stags and hinds: Stalking on the Estate can be arranged directly with us, subject to availability. We may also be able to arrange stalking on neighbouring and other estates. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
Places to Visit
- Ardvreck Castle and Calda House. Ruins by Loch Assynt (A837).
- Beaches. The nearest sandy beaches are at Achmelvich and Culkein (both north of Lochinver), Achnahaird (near Achiltibuie). Further away are Balnakeil, Gruinard, Mellon Udrigle, Oldshoremore, Redpoint North, Sandwood Bay, Scourie.
- Bone caves, Inchnadamph. Walk up limestone glen, cave openings part way up steep slope. On the way you will see the magical stream which appears from nowhere.
- Highland Stoneware. World famous pottery made in Lochinver (also have shop in Ullapool).
- Inverewe Garden. National Trust for Scotland visitor centre and cafe. Poolewe (A832).
- Kirkaig Falls, south of Lochinver. Walk up wooded glen to moorland and see the waterfalls.